In July 23rd, 1958 the idea of a Northwest Mission was brought before North Park Baptist Church (now First Baptist Church Machesney Park) by Reverend Earl Guth to reach across the river to the west side of Rockford with the Gospel.
The mission work started with Brother Daniel Preston and two summer missionaries from the Home Mission Board (NAMB). The first Sunday meeting had 20 for Sunday School and 27 in worship.
A ranch style house on Searles Street was purchased and found to be suitable for both worship and Sunday school programs. In a search for space the church rented the small house next door.
in July 1968 the church purchased the neighboring house and Pastor Bridges and his wife Dorothy took up residency there.